Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Stomach virus/nursing

All this happened while we were still with Melanie. I just never posted it.

Colby made 11 months this past weekend. Boy did we have a rough time with nursing in the beginning. I had to have a C-sect because he was too big to come out. He had jaundice and they told me to supplement with formula bottles. Then he preferred the bottle over the breast. So, I cut out bottles completely. Then when I was going back to work, he wouldn't take a bottle. He would only take it from daycare. I guess that was a good thing because I most likely would have quit nursing him at that point. I didn't decide to definitely bf until I was about 6 months pregnant. Then I planned to stop when I went back to work. I just got a manual pump. Then pumping was going well and a friend gave me an electric one. Then I decided to buy the parts to make it a duel pump. I wasn't having enough time to empty both breasts with a single one. I was pumping way more then what he was taking in a day. So, I figured I'd keep on nursing til he got teeth. Then I started having problems keeping weight on. I thought I'd loose my supply and have to stop. He has always had sleeping issues. But, he has gotten better in the last couple of weeks. Before that he was waking up every 2 hours and wanted to nurse to fall back asleep. Now, he normally in in bed by 8 and up about 4:30. I was always worried that if I stopped nursing, I'd never get him to go back to sleep. About 3 months ago, he decided it was OK to take a bottle from anyone. So, I started giving 3-4 oz of formula before his last 2 nursing sessions before bed. About a month ago, I st oped pumping enough to last him all day. He takes 2 four oz bottles and a 5 oz. It wasn't a problem because I still had a back up supply. Lately he had been wanting to flip onto his belly while nursing. Then he gets mad because he has to let go. Silly boy. Sometimes he will not unlatch because he wants to suck and sometimes he won't stay on very long because he wants to play. I started having diarrhea at 2 am 2 days ago. I was going like every 10 minutes. I went to the Dr. yesterday and he told me to be on a liquid diet for 2 days. Colby was still nursing like every 3 hours. Yesterday I could only feed him like 3 times because I didn't have enough milk. I'm not in taking enough. Plus I can't keep down what i am in taking. I know most babies don't nurse as often as he was at this age. I think I'll be OK with it if it ends. He fell asleep while Rowdy was feeding him his bottle 2 nights in a row and I was OK. I think he'll be OK with it too since I had already supplemented some. All and all, I conquered many obstacles and made it way further than I thought I would or intended on doing. What an accomplishment for me! I will keep trying to nurse. But, since my supply was already dropping, I don't think it will come back. I was still pumping 3 times at work too. (another obstacle). I'm still having stomach problems. But not going as frequent. I hope Colby doesn't get sick. Another reason I want to continue nursing is so he can get the antibodies to fight it of if he did get exposed. It is definitely going around over here. He has only been to the Dr. twice for a sickness! I know I haven't posted much on here. I just don't have much time. I do come here sometimes and try to help when I can. I know a few of you have read some of my stories and responded with great advise. I don't think I would have made it this far without you. Such great information here! If you have advise or thoughts on this one, please give them to me. When people ask how long I'm gonna nurse, I always say as long as I can. To those of you who are struggling, don't give up. If you have your mind made up that you are going to do this, you can! Sorry so long and if I was rambling. I just finally had time since I'm home and Colby isn't.

No comments: